Thursday, October 8, 2009

Book Review : The Hundred-Foot Journey


Image source : www.amazon.com

Author: Richard C. Morais


I think its really been a long time since I came across such a bad book and surprisingly I managed to read it full - cover to cover, while waiting for the plot to build up all through the book. In my opinion, the authors should first see if they really have some good plot before starting to write a book and I am surprsied what did the publishers see in the written matter that they agreed to publish it too. The only attractive part of the book was the cover page which drew me towards this book when I bought it.


Anyway, the book is about a Hajji family, a family running a restaurant in Mumbai and after a certain unfortunate incident the family moved out of India and finally got settled in a French village. The Hajji son - Hassan has natural talent for cooking which a famous French chef Madam Mallory identifies and she selects him to pass on her culinary skills to. Hassan's destiny takes him to Paris and then finally he attains the far fetched dream for any foreigner - of attaining a 3-star status.


I still do not understand what was the purpose of this book - to walk the readers through the journey of an Indian chef to become a 3-star top French chef or to reveal the inner workings of French cuisine world.


My recommendation - stay away from this book.

2 comments:

  1. While one would never expect you to purchase a second copy, you might appreciate knowing that the author substantially revised the text and added a wonderful third act that doesn't appear in the Indian edition. Scribner will publish in the U.S. in July 2010 and Alma will publish in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by on my blog and for letting me know about the revised version too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails